An unmissable crossing-point !
18th century. Still no Village Royal in that era!
Straightforward terrain, between the Chemin du Rempart (modern-day rue Royale) and the rue de la Magdeleine (today the rue Boissy d’Anglas), with its barracks at the edge of the land. A barracks? Indeed, but not one belonging to any old group, instead to our valiant Musketeers, Louis XIII’s own royal guard!
Paris at this time is in full expansion, much like its population: around the Marais district, the nerve centre of a Paris bursting at the seams, where new halls and markets are springing up in its vicinity every day. Yet none in this particular area of Madeleine, itself booming!
August 1745: the terrain is transferred. It is decided that a passageway, along the length of the bodyguards’ barracks be created, so that it may in due course receive the numerous stalls of butchers, fishmongers, fruiterers and other victuallers.
July 1746: the Aguesseau market is inaugurated!